Home General Immigration Law: Know Your Residence Rights

Immigration Law: Know Your Residence Rights


Immigration law in the UK is not a cut-and-dry subject. It covers a number of key areas. Therefore, when you are relocating to the UK from another country, you need to speak to a legal representative. For example, if you wish to bring your family to the UK or you wish to settle permanently in the country, you need to have an understanding of the immigration process.

For example, a child or partner of someone who already lives in the UK, or who is relocating to the country, must know how the current law affects their rights. For instance, according to the law, a child cannot reside in the UK if his or her parents live in another country. Parents include both step-parents and adoptive parents.

Immigration Rules for Children and Spouses or Partners

A parent who currently lives in the UK or who is relocating to the UK must show proof that he or she cannot be separated from their child. By demonstrating this proof, a child can live with his or her parent in the UK as well. Also, a child can live with a parent who lives in the UK and is responsible for the child’s welfare because of the death of the other parent.

Likewise, the partner of a person currently living in the UK or relocating to the UK can apply for a consent to stay. Therefore, if the partner is also interested in settling in the country, he or she can talk to UK immigration lawyers in London about the process.

Taking Residency Seriously

If you wish to permanently settle in the UK with your family, you need to work toward fulfilling of all the legal requirements in this respect. When these requirements are met, you can go ahead and apply for a visa. Typically, people who are serious about their intent will secure an “Indefinite Leave to Remain” before they apply for UK citizenship.

However, UK immigration regulations do change regularly. Therefore, the law can be rather confusing at times. That is why you need to seek advice and direction from a lawyer who specialises in this area of the law. The ultimate goal is to receive an “Indefinite Leave to Remain” visa so that you do not have to apply for more visas or residence extensions. Plus, you typically will need to take the Life in the UK exam. This particular test reveals your competence in speaking English.

In some cases, people who have lived in the UK for ten years or more can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. Besides having lived in the UK for over ten years, applicants also need to show that they have not been arrested or charged with a crime. They also must demonstrate that they have not spent over 18 months outside the country during this time.