Depression is usually related to lethargy, sadness and despair and the person who suffers from it won’t be able to get out of bed. Although a person who is experiencing depression will definitely feel these things, yet the way in which depression presents itself will differ from one person to another. Have you ever heard of smiling depression? Well, this is a term used for a person who has been living with depression while seeming to be perfectly content and happy outside.
Smiling depression is not recognized as a condition in the DSM-5 or Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders but they would be diagnosed as depressive disorder with different kinds of features.
Symptoms and signs of smiling depression
Before you know what smiling depression is, you should know the signs. A person who is experiencing smiling depression from outside will appear happy but he will be experiencing the distressful depression symptoms within. However, depression will affect different people in different ways and other symptoms can include:
- Lethargy or fatigue
- Alterations in appetite, sleeping and weight
- Lack of self-esteem, hopelessness and reduced self-worth
- Lack of pleasure and interest in doing activities which once brought pleasure
In case you’re experiencing depression but you still continue smiling, you might feel the following:
- Like showing the symptoms of depression could be a sign of weakness
- Like you are not at all suffering from depression since you feel fine
- Like you would burden any person by showing your true feelings
- Others may have it even worse than you, so why keep complaining?
- That the world would be better if you’re not in it
Another typical depression symptom is that is has got extremely low energy, so much so that you would find it tough to even get out of bed. The energy levels might not be affected in smiling depression but there is also a higher risk of suicidal attempts. You may call 911 as your local emergency number and remain with the person as long as the police arrive. Take immediate steps to prevent the person from committing suicide.
Therefore, whenever you’re wondering about the ways in which smiling depression can affect a person, you can keep in mind the above mentioned signs and signals. Get in touch with a depression counselor who can help you relieve the symptoms as soon as possible.