Pearls are classic jewelry pieces. They are meant to last forever. If diamonds are forever, then pearls are eternal. They can be made into fine jewelry pieces such as a necklace, rings, earrings, and bracelets. They can also be used as embellishments.
The commonly used pearl is the white and cream pearl. Although there are plenty of available colors too. The rare the color the pricier the pearl will be. White pearls are usually given during weddings. It is believed that giving pearls to the newlyweds ensures a happy and successful marriage. Today, white pearls are everywhere. In fact, they are worn by people of all ages.
If you are going to buy pearls, there are basic things you need to be cautious about. These are the following:
Natural pearl vs. cultured pearl
Natural pearls, as the name suggest, are naturally produced by shells, specifically oysters and mollusk. Natural pearls are difficult to come by which make them expensive. On the other hand, cultured pearls are the ones grown in the farm. They are rare pearls and considered authentic too. Pearl farmers introduce a nucleus to the shell to stimulate it to produce pearls.
Consider the length
A pearl necklace is available in various lengths. When choosing a length, you need to consider the following:
- Long strand necklace – It makes a short neck appear longer.
- Short strand necklace – it makes long neck appear shorter.
Types of necklaces according to length
- Collar – 14 to 16 inches long. It perfectly matches formal and semi-formal outfits.
- Choker – 16 to 18 inches long. It is commonly worn during balls.
- Princes – 18 inches to 20 inches long. It looks perfect on any outfits.
- Matinee – 20 inches to 24 inches long. It is perfect for work and business suits.
- Opera – 28 inches to 34 inches long. It is ideal to wear during formal parties.
- Rope – 37 inches and above. Pearl lovers are not afraid to wear a rope necklace. They wore it stylishly. They can knot or double the rope. They can even make it into a wide pearl bracelet.